Monday, January 12, 2009

Good Samaritans do exist!

Well, it is official.....we are now bloggers!!

Having said that, I found it ironic that on the day I was going to get our family blog started there was so much to reflect on. First off, today is my father's 65th birthday. Just 2 short years ago he passed away.....it seems like a lifetime. So many things have changed since then. Our lives have been filled with great sadness and even greater joys. He would have been overjoyed with his 2 grandsons. I know someday the boys will be able to meet their grandfather and until then, they will get to hear good stories about him and how much he loves them. Now, onto the "lesson of the day". The boys and I went grocery shopping at Marsh today and unfortunately there were no double strollers. This isn't a big deal because we just take 2 carts around the store as we shop. A lady stopped us and asked if she could follow me around and help out by pushing one of the carts. It was a simple gesture and tremendously appreciated. On our way home I was thinking about all of the bad emails of people offering to help you but not to let them because they are going to steal something or hurt you. I have found myself wanting to help people out before but hesitant because I don't want to make them feel uncomfortable. The "simple" gesture this lady made to help us out made a big difference in our day and added a reminder that there are still good Samaritans out there willing to help out just out of the goodness in their hearts. I want the boys to grow up being willing to stop and help strangers out, not being concerned about the bad stories that go around.......it was just a little "eye-opener".

Have a great day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh...Kara's becoming just like an Aunt of mine...HA! No, just kidding. I loved reading this blog. I've also been reflecting on Dad a lot lately and I can't begin to tell you how much he's missed by all. What I would give to be able to spend a few minutes with him again. I guess that time will have to wait a while.

Anyhow, I agree with you that there is still a lot more kindness in this world than what we give credit to. It was incredibly nice of that lady to assist you with the most gorgeous, sweet and loving boys in the world! :) Who wouldn't want to be close to them? I can't wait to see them this weekend and I know Mom is missing them something fierce. We, however, will miss her terribly when we have to give her back. She has been a blessing to us and has provided all of us with help around the house and a ton of joy. Even Scott's family is saying that she has to come back soon. Norma, Scott's mom loves her visits because Mom plays cards with her by the hour. And W.A., Scott's Uncle, calls Mom Miss Priss and insists on seeing her as much as he can. W.A. and his wife, Eunice, think Mom is the greatest thing since sliced bread. We hope to have her with us again soon and hopefully, for a longer stay. Jesse will even miss Sugar since they have been great play mates. Oh well, all good things come to an end...for a little while. I'm sure the boys are missing their Grandma too.

See you Saturday. We will do something to celebrate Phil's birthday this weekend. See you soon!

Faith said...

Welcome to the blogging world!! I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I can't imagine how hard that must have been. I'm so glad you've got those two sweet little boys to keep you smiling! Your post made me so happy! I love to hear stories like this! I wish this were the only kind of story out there! Anyway, it was super to see you today, and I'm so glad we're at the same table!! Have a fantastic weekend!
Love, Faith

Anonymous said...

WE WANT MORE BLOGGING FROM THE POORE BOYS...! I don't see what the hold up is. You act like you're running around crazy chasing after two energetic 1 yr. old twins or something...gosh! HA! More pics please too!

Karleen said...

Where are my pictures?! It's not like you should be busy or tired. Your only duty is to watch 2 little boys...how hard can that be? Just teasing! I want pics though. Plllllleeeeaaaassssssseeee!

Aun said...

We NEED more pics and posts of you and the boys. Can never get too much! You're a great writer and the boys are a great source of humor, love, laughter and joy. Plus, they're beautiful!