Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Yet another one....

I told a couple people about our last milestone passing events and they all said I should blog about it, so here is another story for the books.

The boys were told that after their 3rd birthday party, they had to mail their bubbies (pacifiers) to the new babies to use. We built it up for a couple of weeks so that they were prepared and excited for it to come. We even asked them what they wanted from the babies as a thank you gift and they both agreed on puzzles.

Anyways, the night came to ship the bubbies off. We traced their hands on the box and addressed it to the new babies and then sealed it up. The boys walked the box to the mailbox and said goodbye to it.

That night we did the same bedtime rituals and laid the boys down. Cooper was just fine, but about 2 minutes after we closed the door and said goodnight Carson started crying. I was standing outside their door listening. Their conversation went as follows:

Carson: "Cooper, Cooper will you go get the bubbies? The new babies don't have them yet?" (all while crying for his bubby)
Cooper: "Carson, it's okay, you be okay. I love you Carson, you gonna be okay."
Carson: "please go get it Cooper, I miss it, I change my mind, I don't want the new babies to have it"

It went on like this for a couple of minutes and so I went in to comfort him. I gave him my bear that my dad had given me when I was younger (this had been set aside as a backup to help him through this). I told him that the new babies were excited to have bubbies to use and he was very nice to do this for them. After kisses, tucking in again and goodnights, I left the room (and, of course, continued to listen at the door).

Cooper: "Carson, you happy now, you okay now?"
Carson: "Yes, Cooper, I'm happy now"
Cooper: "I love mommy."

Yes, my heart melted. It was even greater hearing them lean on each other and help each other.

The next morning they got to go to the mailbox and get their gifts out. They were so excited and happy to get their wooden puzzles. They have spent many hours since then at the table doing those puzzles and have completely forgotten about their bubbies.



Tracing Cooper's hand on the box.



Carson getting a little more time with his bubby before sending it off.


BYE-BYE BUBBIES!!!!

1 comment:

Stephanie Rawlins said...

this is ADORABLE!!! thank you for sharing this story! I completely teared up... what sweet boys you have. you guys are obviously doing an amazing job!